If you’re like me, you’re probably thinking about how amazing your Disney vacation will be when the parks reopen and coronavirus is under control. With the 50th anniversary of Magic Kingdom in Disney World coming up in 2021 there are lots of new and exciting changes happening in the parks. Here is a list of all of them separated by parks to get you excited!
Epcot is at the center of the Walt Disney World changes. Due to its focus on the future, the park was destined to always be changing with the times. Now it is the center of the biggest park transformation in Disney history. The park will be divided into four new neighborhoods, World Discovery, World Celebration, World Nature and World Showcase.
- World Showcase changes.
- The UK Pavilion will open the first Mary Poppins inspired attraction. This will be surrounded by Cherry Tree Lane. The attraction will be inside the Banks family house.
- “HarmoniUS” will debut the largest nighttime spectacular ever made for a Disney Park. The theme is a celebration of how Disney music inspires people across the globe and brings the world together.
- In the France Pavilion, the new “Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure” will open. In this ride the guests will shrink to the size of Chef Remy and be taken on an adventure through Chef Guesteau’s restaurant.
- Also in the France Pavilion, a new restaurant, La Crêperie de Paris, will open and will bring quick service and sit down menu items by celebrity chef, Jérôme Bocuse.
- Again, in the France Pavilion, a new Beauty and the Beast Sing-Along will open
- In the Canada Pavilion, “Canada, Far and Wide, Circle Vision 360” will open.
- In the China Pavilion, “Wondrous China” will open. This will take guests on a journey through china.
- Regal Eagle Smokehouse: Craft Drafts and Barbeque will open in the America Pavillion. This will feature good barbeque and American craft beers.
- World Celebration
- Spaceship Earth, the iconic “golf ball” in Epcot is finally getting a makeover. This will keep old scenes but change and add new ones as well. With a new score and new narration, guests will follow a “story light” that will take them to the past and tell the human story of communication.
- A new pavilion will be home to Epcot’s festivals and live events. A new three stories structure will be built as the perfect viewing place for the new nighttime show.
- The new entrance will pay homage to Epcot’s origins. This will have a reimagined fountain, beautiful greenspaces and new pathways. This will beautify the entrance.
- The exit of Spaceship Earth will take you to Dreamers point which will show you a beautiful view of the world showcase, all the new beautiful greenery added to the park and a new statue monument of Walt Disney.
- World Nature
- “Journey of Water, inspired by Moana” will be the first thing inspired by this movie. This exploration trail will allow you to meet and play with living water. The water will have life and guests will learn about the importance of the water cycle.
- “Awesome, Planet” will be a new film celebrating the diversity and beauty of the planet.
- World Discovery
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind will be the first otherworldly pavilion. This will take guests into the world of Guardians of the Galaxy. This will also include a new coaster that features amazing imagineering aspects which will turnt he coaster 360 to focus attention on the action.
- Expansion on the Mission Space pavilion will feature the new restaurant Space 220. This amazing culinary experience features daytime and nighttime views of earth from 220 miles up. It will look like you are on a space station. You will board an elevator that will take you up with views as if you are launching and going into space.
- The Play! Pavilion will be filled with games, experiences, and activities that will connect people with Disney characters both real and virtual. This will be like never before.
There is not much new at Animal Kingdom since it was the focus of the most recent finished changes with Pandora and the nighttime safari.
- Christmas at Animal Kingdom. 2019 saw new changes with Christmas at Animal Kingdom however it is expected for it to be much bigger in 2020.
- After Hours at Night is the newest after hours lineup. Enjoy the nighttime safari and lots of good treats as well as a good newish nighttime show at the Tree of Life.
With Galaxy’s Edge now completely opened (finally!) there isn’t too much new to come. Rise of the Resistance officially opened with a new virtual queue line which relieves some stress while also likely adding some. If you’re planning a trip to ride this ride, make sure you look up articles on how to get in the queue line quickly so you are guaranteed the ability to ride the ride.
- Mickey Shorts Theatre will be a new theatre built to show Mickey Mouse short films, and it will be a great place to get out of the Florida heat.
- Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway is NOW OPEN!! It looks amazing, and I’ve heard it is great. (R.I.P. Great Movie Ride)
- Roundup Rodeo BBQ will be opening in Toy Story Land and will be a new indoor table service restaurant. Rumor has it there will be an awesome playset for the kids there too.
This is my favorite park. Again, I will divide this by land, although not every land is adding new things.
- The Castle
- For Cinderella’s 70th anniversary her castle is getting a makeover fit for a princess. The paint will be updated and changed slightly as well as a few other details.
- Grass Hub in front of the castle will be for lounging and dessert parties the park holds.
- The Jungle Cruise refurbishments. These will be done in time for the 50th anniversary. It is unclear what these will be, but they have been called extensive.
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad refurbishments, these will also be done in time for the 50th anniversary. It is unsure what all the refurbishments will bring to the ride, but it will hopefully have the final sequence that was added to the attraction in both Disneyland and Disneyland Paris. This part uses projection mapping that shows dynamite exploding through the cavern which causes a fog filled explosion as you head down the last drop. SOUNDS LIKE FUN.
- Disney characters will be added to It’s a Small World like it is in Disneyland California. This will add a fun new thing to look for on the classic and timeless ride.
- Tomorrowland is getting reimagined! This means there is quite a few new rides and attractions coming to tomorrowland.
- Wreck it Ralph attraction is going to replace Stitch’s Great Escape.
- PeopleMover refurbishments are going to bring new areas and scenes in the ride, which I personally am very excited for.
- Tron Lightcycle Roller Coaster has been started and is expected to be completed by 2021. This will be an exciting new ride to add to Magic Kingdom.
- Drawn to Life Cirque Du Soleil is the new Cirque Du Soleil show in Disney Springs. It will pay homage to Disney animation and follow a young girl inspired by art.
- Ample Hills Creamery until now was only available at Disney’s Boardwalk so it is exciting that this delicious ice cream stop is being expanded to Disney Springs.
Resorts are always undergoing some type of refurbishments, but there are also some new exciting things coming.
- Coronado Springs Gran Destino Tower
- Saratoga Springs
- Grand Floridian is opening a Beauty and the Beast themed bar and lounge called Enchanted Rose
- Grand Floridian restaurant Citricos will become Victoria and Albert’s Bistro.
- Under construction
- Disney’s Lakeside Resort, Reflections.
- The Cove, will be the 3rd property to join the Dolphin and the Swan on Disney Boardwalk.
- Star Wars Hotel Galactic Starcruiser Immersion Experience.
- Okay this one I am PUMPED for. It will be almost like a cruise ship where visitors will board all at once to a spaceship. It will be like you are in a spaceship travelling through space with activities on board such as lightsaber lessons and ship steering. You will also be able to interact with characters, good and bad, and make decisions that could land you on the dark side. The decisions you make count and will be noticed. You also will make a port day in Galaxy’s Edge. This seems like an amazing experience, and I for one, am so excited.
That is just about everything coming to Walt Disney World in the next year or so. Happy planning!