Growing up in a fairly tight knit family, we would often go eat dinner at my grandparents house. My grandma, Mimi, always made the best food. Her homemade fried chicken, pot roasts, and casseroles made you want to lick the bowl clean.
When it came time to eat dessert, she never wanted to buy premade pies or cakes. Since she was also tired of cooking and baking, she would make her dump cake.
The cake gets the name because it requires almost no work. You dump the ingredients in and put it in the oven. It’s baking without the mess and work of baking. You only mess up the one dish you use and the rest you throw away.
“It’s easy and it’s a no fail cake. I’ve never made one yet people didn’t absolutely love. Everytime I make it, every bit is eaten up. Every single time.” said Mimi, my grandma.
Whether it’s a cake for you and friends, a date, or for you to enjoy baking with your own grandchildren, it’s easy, fun and delicious.
Mimi’s Cherry Dump Cake
Step 1. Gather ingredients.
- 12 inch pan/dish. Glass is preferred, however anything you can put in the oven will work.
- 1 can of crushed pineapple.
- 1 can of cherry pie filling
- 1 small bag of coconut
- 1 small bag of chopped pecans
- 1 box of white cake mix (leave dry)
- 2 sticks (1 cup) of melted butter.
- Ice cream, vanilla (optional)
Step 2. Add ingredients to the pan.
Order is important to follow as it is below! Picture step by step is below.
- Preheat oven to 400
- Dump undrained pineapple into the pan and spread it out to cover the bottom of the dish
- Sprinkle coconut over the top of the pineapple and spread out to cover the pineapple.
- Add cherry pie filling and spread out over the coconut.
- Sprinkle pecans over the cherry pie filling and cover the pie filling.
- Pour the dry cake mix over the pecans and other ingredients and cover it. Use the whole box. It will sink down.
- Pour melted butter over the top of the dry cake mix. It will not sink down until in the oven, it will stay on top.
Step 3. Bake.
- Put the cake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Step 4. Enjoy!
- When done, take out of the oven and let cool!
This is very important. The fruit will be extremely hot. Let cool before eating.
- Serve warm with ice cream!
- Save the rest and put it in the fridge. It is just as good, if not better, served cold the next day!