Quarantining and practicing social distancing are great opportunities to pause and focus on ways we can all make an effort to take care of ourselves. Not only is it a good idea to practice healthy habits during quarantine, but they can also be carried out into the future after distancing is over.
We interviewed the founder of Pure Results, Katie Morris, to learn more about taking care of our bodies from rest to exercise to meditating. Pure Results is a business focused on a holistic approach to skincare and healing cystic acne. Although Morris’ specialty is skincare, she is also a Licensed Massage Therapist and Neurokinetic Therapist.
What are your favorite ways to relax and rest during quarantine?
1. Breathe. This one sounds obvious, but really, when’s the last time you intentionally took a long, deep breath? Take 30 deep breathes while lying on your back. Close your eyes and focus.
2. Hydrate. Make it your goal to drink one gallon of water a day (128 ounces; that’s eight, 16-ounce water bottles).
3. Center Yourself. Rub your sternum. This helps get the body out of fight / flight mode & into true rest & relaxation. Take your thumbs and rub from the top of your sternum at your collarbone to the base of your sternum between your chest, moving at a moderate pace while paying attention to your breath.
What are your favorite ways to be active during quarantine?
1. In home workouts using things around the house help stimulate our creative brains and you get a good workout, too!
2. Dancing! Turn up the music and dance it out. Seriously this is fun, freeing and a total release of restless energy.
3. Learn a new skill: yoga, handstands, a push-up; whatever is a challenge for you.
What are the essential parts of your routine each day that are vital for your overall well-being?
1. Morning movement (dynamic stretching) for five to ten minutes right when I wake up.
2. Drinking sixteen ounces of water in the morning. This helps wake up the digestive, immune, and lymph systems.
3. Writing five gratitudes, five top priorities and ten affirmations for my dreams in my wild fire journal.
What is your go-to quarantine meal?
Nachos and guacamole!
- 2 avocados
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced onions
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- Himalayan salt
- Siete tortilla chips
- Mozzarella cheese
Throw in the oven until cheese is melted.
Any tips for others wanting to take better care of themselves during quarantine?
Implement these daily habits. They are easy to incorporate each day:
1. Face massage
Rub your face with fingers and knuckles. Use light pressure around jaw, cheek bones, eyes and forehead! (Just spend an extra three to five minutes while washing your face).
It does not have to be some crazy workout—just move. Whether that’s talking a walk or doing a body weight workout, just make a point to move every single day.
3. Drink your water. This can help correct so many things. One gallon a day keeps the doctor away!
4. Spend time connecting with loved ones. FaceTime dates are perfect for quarantine.
For more self-care tips, recipes and workouts, follow Morris on Instagram @yourpureface or visit her website at www.pureresults.co